Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I have 3 children and I pay child support that comes directly out of my check I would like to know by law is the a certain percent that they can take currently they are taking more than 70% of my check for one example my check 541.39 child support 316.40 leaving 224 for taxes and me to live with is totally impossible how can I reduce payment or make some arrangement so I can atleast get on my feet and live.

Asked on 6/19/13, 2:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

The amount of child support that each parent is required to pay is based upon the pre-tax income of both parents, the number of children receiving support, and a few other factors, such as child care expenses and health insurance premiums. There is a table of basic child support contained in the MD Family Law statute. If you are paying under a court order, presumably this calculation was made in order to determine the proper amount of support that you and the other parent is required to pay. If your income has fallen since that amount was determined, or if the custodial parent's has increased, you may be entitled to an adjustment of this amount. I suggest you contact a family law attorney who can "run the numbers" and advise you on what to do. Your county bar association probably has a program of referral to such attorneys for a very modest consultation fee ($40-50), and there may also be free clinics available in your area where you could do this.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 6:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland