Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Can my attorney just quit on me? I have paid over $160,000 for the custody of my children and divorce and over 2 years later I have nothing.

Asked on 9/03/12, 12:36 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

An attorney may seek to withdraw from client representation, but if the case is in court they must file a petition and get court approval. Generally an attorney feels an obligation to continue to represent a client as long as the client is abiding by the terms of the fee agreement and otherwise cooperating with the attorney in his/her efforts to competently represent the client. Sometimes a conflict may arise or the attorney may have a personal issue that prevents them from continuing to represent a client, but in these instances a competent attorney will give the client ample opportunity to obtain new counsel before withdrawing.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/12, 6:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland