Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

change of venue

I was awarded joint custody of my two daughters. I am having problems with the father, and want to take him back to court. I live in md with my husband and daughters, he lives in va. Va awarded me custody. Can I file in md for modification of order issued in Va?, or do I have to goto VA. and ask for change of venue, or can I ask Md. for change of venue?

Asked on 9/26/03, 9:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carolyn Press Chung & Press. P.C.

Re: change of venue

You will need to file in Virginia and ask that the case be removed to Maryland. If you can make a good argument that the children have resided in Maryland for a substantial period of time and the witnesses and evidence which would be needed for your case are in Maryland (for instance teachers, neighbors and friends) the Virginia court may agree to transfer the case and move jurisdiction to Maryland.

Read more
Answered on 10/06/03, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland