Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I have a court ordered child support case in effect that is attached to our custody agreement. My ex came to me when he was laid off and asked if I could drop the child support case until he gets another job. We did not go back to court but we did both sign and have notarized a piece of paper at the Social Services office that the case was originally opened at. Did I close the child support case or just the Maryland enforcement of the child support? I just want to know if I can file for contempt of non payment because he has been working for over a year and will not pay any money saying that I dropped the case.

Asked on 6/19/13, 9:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

You can always seek child support, which, as the name suggests, is for the benefit of the child not the parents. It sounds like all you did at Social Services is agree to delay enforcement of an existing order while he was unemployed, but certainly didn't relieve him of his ongoing responsibility. I suggest you confer with a family law attorney and let him/her review the paper you signed and advise you how to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 6:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland