Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

My ex filed exceptions to the masters recommendations after not showing up for the hearing. His exceptions are not very detailed all it really says is he "didn't know he had court" and the he wants joint legal custody. But in the paperwork he filed that I received a copy of there is nothing saying a transcript was requested. How do I know if one was?

Asked on 5/21/16, 8:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

The office in your circuit courthouse that produces the transcripts can give you this information. However, from your characterization of your ex's "exceptions", it seems very unlikely they will be granted. His failure to appear is certainly not sufficient grounds. Once a party becomes subject to the court's jurisdiction, all hearing notices are sent to the address the party provides the court, and there is a presumption that a notice was received. Also, judges typically defer to the master's discretion in these matters, since the master heard the evidence and had the best opportunity to evaluate the witnesses.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/16, 9:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland