Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

my husband and i have been married 2 years together for 6 we had our first child together 2 months ago i want to leave him because he is emotionally and domestically abusive to me and my children i also have a 10 year old from a past marriage but iam scared to leave him because he is illegal here in the united states and am scared that he will take her and take her to his country or will visit and never bring her back is there a way i can prevent either one from happening

Asked on 6/05/13, 11:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

The best you can do is file a court petition for sole legal custody and ask for supervised visitation for your daughter so he can't gain control over her, but the court might not go along with this. You should consult with an experienced family law attorney. If finances are an issue your county bar association can inform you about reduced fee and even pro bono (free) services for which you might financially qualify.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/13, 2:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland