Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I just received an attorney letter from my ex-husband requesting i address issues in HIS(not our) recommended amendments to our current time sharing parenting plan. do i have an obligation to respond? we have shared custody 50/50.

Asked on 11/15/13, 5:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

You don't have an obligation, but if you don't you may well find yourself in receipt of court papers scheduling a hearing for modification of the existing plan. Unless you're prepared to represent yourself in such a proceeding, which would be highly inadvisable, it would be a good idea to at least see if an agreement can be reached through negotiation. Of course, if you are adamant that the plan should not be changed in any way, you ought to let the attorney know that and explain the reasons why, in a reasoned manner. Courts generally don't like to change such schedules unless there is a compelling reason to do so, but every case stands on its own merits, and it always comes down to what is in the best interests of the child(ren).

Read more
Answered on 11/15/13, 7:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland