Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

I am sharing custody of my children with their mother. From the day we left the courtroom i have been taking care of my kids fulltime. She's in and out of their life when its convenient to her. I want full custody but cant afford the fee, is their any way around paying it since we already went through the motions?

Asked on 8/12/13, 6:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

If isn't clear whether you are referring to attorney or court fees.

Each lawyer sets their own fees. In this state some family law attorneys volunteer their time at county family law "pro se" clinics to help people who cannot afford lawyer fees. Usually these are at the court house. Although the volunteer attorneys will not represent clinic patrons in court, they do help people without an attorney select and fill out the right paperwork. You are encouraged to contact your county's circuit court to see what hours the pro se clinic might operate there.

If you are referring to the court filing fees, a motion to change custody is probably a very modest fee (around $25 but confirm with the clerk for your court). If party to a case is in extreme poverty and truly cannot afford the court's filing fees, they can file a motion requesting that the court waive the fees based on their poverty.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/13, 2:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland