Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

how to stop an ex-wife from abusing the system

I have been divorced for about 1 year, my ex is still very bitter. We have 2 kids together, which we share custody. She constantly bad mouths me to the kids, and if I am a few minutes late bringing the kids back to her after visitation, she calls the police on me. She often tries to provoke me to respond to her violently to have me arrested by jumping in my face, hanging up on me, or jumping in front of my moving vehicle. Just recently, I found out that she has been conspiring against me with a recent ex-girlfriend to have me arrested. I pick my kids up from my ex-wife every other weekend, but I often try to have a family member pick them up for me to avoid confrontations with her. However, this is time consuming for my family to do. I'm considering giving their mother sole custody of the children so that I can avoid her at all costs. I don't want to take this route, I love my kids and want to be in their lives, but I can't continue with their mother constantly working against me. Do you have any alternatives to avoiding her? Can I designate a third party to pick up the kids(my current girlfriend) without their mother agreeing to this? How can I avoid confrontation with her and still see the kids.

Asked on 8/28/03, 5:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Maryland Bankruptcy MarylandBankruptcy

Re: how to stop an ex-wife from abusing the system

go to - they may be able to help

Read more
Answered on 8/28/03, 5:58 pm
Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: how to stop an ex-wife from abusing the system

Giving sole custody to your ex isn't going to solve your problem. I'm going to assume that you don't have a written agreement with your ex; otherwise you might be able to hold her in breach of that agreement for the way she treats you to the children. If your ex won't agree to allow a third party designated by you to pick up the children for visitation, you could seek a court order permitting you to do so. I suggest that if you're going to be late in returning them after visitation, you telephone her and let her know in the hope that your effort will blunt her hysterics when you show up.

Read more
Answered on 8/29/03, 1:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland