Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

my name was not on the title of the car that my ex and i had gotten together but like i said in the divorce agreement i got the car and he got the truck..since he agreed to let me have the car can i take it back from him

Asked on 7/09/13, 9:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Under the circumstances, if you had a written agreement that was incorporated into the divorce judgment, your ex is in contempt by violating that provision. An experienced family law attorney will know how to file a petition for contempt against your ex in order to enforce the agreement. You can also ask the court to order him to pay your legal fees. If your "agreement" was just verbal between the two of you, you probably won't be able to get the car unless he gives it up, and if you just take it you could be charged with theft.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 10:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland