Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Tonight I had my 3 month old daughter tooken away from me tonight by a guy that I dont know if he is the father or not. The police said that since hes been there since birth and showed pictures they think he is the father and I could not take her away from him. I just went over there to visit and when it was time to leave he would not let me take her with me. So I called the police and they didnt let me take her home with me. Neither one of us has papers about cusdty put his name is not on her certific or nor does she have his last name... What should I do

Asked on 2/02/12, 9:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

You will need to file an emergency petition for custody. The police should not have allowed him to keep the baby as he is legally not the father until he admits paternity in court. If you can't afford a lawyer contact the bar association in your county and ask about their pro bono legal program. If you income qualify you can get free or at least reduced fee representation.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/12, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland