Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

My ex wife and I have been divorced for 3 years. We both moved from WV to Md following the divorce. We started seeing each other and have not been back to court or requested a transfer. I know in Md child support is much higher than WV. Would I owe her back pay for the last 3 years difference if she went to have it adjusted? Also I have been giving her extra money each month in a check form as well as paying to help out with several things. We are still dating. Thank you.

Asked on 3/15/15, 10:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Brown Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC

Maryland law permits retroactive child support only back to the date of filing a motion to change it. Unless and until your ex-wife files a motion to modify child support, you're safe paying what you've already been ordered to pay by the WV court. It's good you're doing the right thing by your child in paying over what you've been ordered to pay, just make sure you keep a careful record of what you've paid.

Read more
Answered on 3/16/15, 5:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland