Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

I have a 3 yr signed rental contract with a farmer, to use my fields, payable on 3/15; he does not pay. What recourse do I have?

Asked on 4/01/16, 7:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Hopefully you obtained a security deposit to protect you against this type of problem. If there is any way to lock him out you can do that since it would be considered a commercial lease. If you want to enforce the lease, you will have to take him to landlord-tenant court on a complaint for repossession (eviction) and back rent. Legally you can collect until the end of the lease, but you have a duty to try and re-lease the property to mitigate (reduce) your losses. But if you haven't tried reaching out to him yet, I'd try that first to see if it can be resolved amicably.

Read more
Answered on 4/01/16, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland