Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maryland

I've consulted a lawyer about a lawsuit that is being pursued against me - they told me that the case is completely frivolous and that the plaintiff could actually have repercussions from even filing it. They also told me that their fees would be 2K and that they could most likely have the entire thing thrown out plus counter-sue for attorney fees. My problem is - I just don't have 2K to put down! In the mean time - I have to file an intent to defend. Any ideas?

Asked on 8/23/12, 9:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

You need to file that notice to defend to protect your right to a trial. It must be filed within 15 days of when you were served with the complaint. Then you can try to work out some kind of a payment arrangement with a lawyer if you want to have professional representation. Many lawyers charge by the hour for these kinds of cases, and it may be that if the case is that frivolous, your fee will be less. Frankly, though if it goes through trial and discovery is needed, that's not likely.

Read more
Answered on 8/23/12, 9:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maryland