Legal Question in International Law in Maryland

Marine laws

I intend to purchase a barge, tow it out to international waters near a busy port and grow and sell marijuana to recreational boaters.

This barge will also have a bar.

Who has the right and the jurisdiction to enforce drug laws in international waters ?

Asked on 8/23/01, 2:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas McCarthy, Sr. Thomas McCarthy, Sr., Esq., P.C.

Re: Marine laws

Rule 1 of international law;

might makes right

Remember, there is a 200 mile economic zone that the US claims.

There is a right of innicent passage. Also, the US Coast

Guard has a virtually unfettered righ of search and seizure on the water.

Also, it is easy to see a barge in open water, and

every vessel approaching it.

My recommendation is, forget it.

Tom in Md.T

Read more
Answered on 8/23/01, 10:24 pm

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: Marine laws

International waters are governed by two sets of jurisprudence.

There is admiralty law which is comprised of a long line of case law and

is coupled with regulation and statutory law. In order for this to apply there

must be a nexus to a country of origin and juridiction (i.e., a 200 mile border).

There may be a basis for the country of origin to control the flow of supplies to

such a vessel where such control is exercised within the 200 mile restriction.

More proper to your question is that international treaty will control over your illicit venture.

Treaties, pacts and other multi-country agreements are plagued with problems of enforcement. If a

signatory country dissents to enforcement then the agreement often fails.

Make sure your barge is anchored 200 miles off the coast where it can be accessed from the coastline

of a country that has signed with the US in international drug interdiction treaty. Be sure that the

coastline being used is of a country likely to dissent from this treaty. (Hey, why not try the Sea of Cortez deep in the pit formed by the

Baja Penisila?)

Now, make sure that you hire you own army, navy and airforce to protect your barge from invasion by the drug lords of your "sponsoring" country.

You'll also need embassadors and lobbyist to ensure that the political climate remains favorable to your endeavor lest you risk expropriation.

I guess you can see...THIS IS AN IMPLAUSIBLE IDEA. Forget it!!

DISCLAIMER: No, and I mean NO, legal advice is being provided by this communication. The response herein is intended

only to make a parody of the question presented.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/01, 2:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 164

More International Law questions and answers in Maryland