Legal Question in Military Law in Maryland

can my spouse legally leave the country with my children while I'm deployed if I don't want him/her to?

Asked on 7/21/10, 6:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Scot Sikes Law Offices of Scot Sikes

Normally the State Department will require both parents' signatures on the children's passport applications. This is true even in situations when the biological parents are divorced. So the answer is probably "No." You might do well to peruse the U.S. State Department's website to clarify standard passport requirements. On the other hand, if your children already have valid passports, the only way you are likely able to stop or halt wife from traveling out of the country with the children is by filing some form of civil (domestic) action with the state court where she resides.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/10, 9:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Maryland