Legal Question in Personal Injury in Maryland

My mother in law was recently involved in an automobile accident with my aunt. My mother in law was the passenger and the accident was the other man's fault. She is in the hospital as a result of the accident and has been in and out of ICU since Friday the 31st of July. My question is do we need to get a lawyer or trust my aunts insurance company to fight for us?

Asked on 8/09/09, 10:08 pm

6 Answers from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Speedy recovery is hoped.

Your aunt needs representation for injuries and should contact an attorney. Does she have a power of attorney established?

Read more
Answered on 8/14/09, 11:05 pm
Burt Kahn Joseph, Greenwald and Laake PA

absolutely she needs her own counsel. In no way should she rely on any insurance company to protect her and they have no duty to do so

happy to discuss with you/her

Read more
Answered on 8/14/09, 11:31 pm
Walter E. Laake, Jr. Joseph Greenwald & Laake Pa

Your mother-in-law should definitly be represented by Counsel, especially in a case such as this where it appears that she sustained very serious injuries. An attorney can greatly assist in the investigation and presentation of your mother-in-law's claim for damages, especially as it relates to future expenses and the permanent injuries she will suffer the rest of her life. More importantly, your atttorney can determine if there is additional liability insurance coverage that may be available to her for her injuries. I will be at work over the weekend so if you wish to discuss this matter further please call and leave a number where I can reach you and I will be happy to explain what's involved in hiring an attorney and why your mother in law has little to lose in obtaining professional help. For information on my background and experience I would refer you to my web site.

I hope to hear from you or your mother-in-law...

Read more
Answered on 8/15/09, 12:10 am

The insurance company is looking to settle a case for as little money as possible. Therefore your mother-in-law cannot rely on them to do the right thing by her. She is also entitled to medical benefits immediately, so that she does not have to spend her own money now. A lawyer can be of great assistance to her, both in protecting her rights, getting her the highest value for her injuries, and giving her the peace of mind that someone is assisting her in this manner.

Read more
Answered on 8/15/09, 7:28 am
Denese Dominguez Law Office of Denese Dominguez, LLC

Your mother-in-law needs a lawyer. If you do not have an attorney with whom you are comfortable, feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to come to her since she is clearly not in a position to travel.

Denese Dominguez, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/09, 9:21 am
Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

The last one your mother-in-law can trust is your aunt's insurance company. Their only responsibility is to pay medical expenses and lost income through your aunt's PIP coverage if she's insured in MD, and potentially to pay coverage over and above what the at-fault driver had if your aunt's underinsured motorist coverage is sufficient. Their goal is to pay out as little as possible under whatever contractual obligations they have. As an attorney handling personal injury claims for over 30 years, I can assist you in resolving these issues, and in getting the best posssible recovery for your mother-in-law. You can visit my website at to learn more.

Read more
Answered on 8/17/09, 11:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Maryland