Legal Question in Personal Injury in Maryland

I settled a lawsuit but never was disclosed the settlement agreement. I was told by my lawyer my amount and then was wired money. Does that sound funny? When I asked for a copy of the settlement agreement I was told it was sealed. Does that include me?

Asked on 6/22/15, 5:32 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

It does sound funny. Demand the settlement agreement, the order that has it under seal, and a copy of the settlement check. If the attorney continues to refuse to provide you this information, file a grievance against the attorney.

Also licensed in Maryland.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/15, 8:31 pm
Walter E. Laake, Jr. Joseph Greenwald & Laake Pa

This does not make sense. Your case cannot be settled without your specific permission. You have an absolute right to the release that was signed by somebody, a copy of the check that was sent in settlement of your claim, and the settlement statement. A letter to your lawyer requesting these items should be honored. If not you know there was some "hanky-panky" involved in your settlement. Counsel above gives you the web site address for the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission. Your letter should conclude with: "Do I really have to contact the Attorney Grievance Commission in order to obtain information that two Maryland attorneys say I have an absolute right to"? Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/15, 8:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Maryland