Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

My friends mother recently passed away. She lived in the home with her mom. The house has a mortgage under her mother's name and now she wants to assume the loan. What is the best way to go about doing this?

Asked on 1/06/20, 10:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cedulie Laumann Arden Law Firm, LLC

A federal law may help your friend as it allows someone who inherits a home from a parent to assume the mortgage loan.

If the deed was in the name of the person who died, an estate will first need to be opened up and the property will need to go through the probate process before transferring to the heir(s). The Will of the person who died should indicate who inherits, or if they died without a Will, then the laws of intestate succession would kick in.

While I hope that this general information helps, it doesn't take the place of getting legal advice. Your friend is strongly encouraged to talk to an estate lawyer to understand how to administer the estate of her late mother.

Read more
Answered on 1/06/20, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland