Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Maryland

I purchased a house recently with my boyfriend. He also helped purchased a car. He was my co-signer. I found out that he has been married for 11 years.

I something happens to him, how can I protect my home and my car.

Asked on 5/05/16, 11:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

It depends on what you mean by "something". If a divorce action is filed, and his name is on the deed/car title as a co-owner, his interest in those properties could be treated as marital property. So if there is a fight over division of assets, that could have a negative effect on your ability to retain the property, because he might have to seek liquidation of these assets if he can't otherwise provide his wife with her share of their property. If he dies and is listed on the deed as "joint tenant with right of survivorship", you would become the sole owner of the property upon his death. Perhaps for the car he merely co-signed the loan papers but the title lists you as sole owner. In that case, you should be ok. It would be a good idea to get him to sign the title over to you before any problems develop. I suggest you seek a consultation with a family law attorney and let them review your deed and car title. Your county bar association should have a program that offers reduced fee or even free consultations with attorneys who participate.

Read more
Answered on 5/05/16, 1:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Maryland