Legal Question in Tax Law in Maryland

My W-2's do not match my bank statements and records

My and my wife's W-2's do not match our bank statements. For the first 6 months of 2006, we worked for the same company. Our employer wrote numerous checks by hand, without giving a stub which taxes were taken out of, and it appears that those checks are not accounted for in our 2006 gross earnings and taxes. Not to mention, our employer did not take out any MD state taxes and our federal taxes are considerably lower than our income would indicate. Can anyone give me any guidance as to what to do?

Asked on 2/12/07, 6:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: My W-2's do not match my bank statements and records

You need to file a tax return that complies with the Internal Revenue Service. You can contact a tax accountant who is certified and insured or contact an attorney.

Proof of withholding and wages paid is required of the employer. Penalties may apply.

Read more
Answered on 2/12/07, 11:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Maryland