Legal Question in Traffic Law in Maryland

Notice of Suspension/Failure to Appear

I was recently sent a Notice of Suspension by the Maryland MVA due to a citation for failure to appear in court. I never received a summons. Am I still liable for this court appearance if the court sent to the wrong address? Would I be eligible for an extension? I was going to contest the ticket, but never got a summons to appear. I can't talk to anyone at MVA about this...their automated system is horrible. What can I do?

Asked on 6/03/05, 9:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Notice of Suspension/Failure to Appear

More than likely there is an arrest warrant out on you for your failure to appear in Court. You should contact a lawyer, like myself, to petition the Court to lift the bench warrant and set the case in for trial so you can contest the original ticket. Once that is done, the suspension will be withdrawn. Should you be stopped by the police while driving, you will be charged with driving on a suspended license, which carrys a penalty up to a $1,000.00 fine and a year in jail. So, don't delay in attending to this matter.

Read more
Answered on 6/04/05, 5:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Maryland