Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

Parents Deceived: Early Inheritance of Property - Deeds Not Written As Specified

Good Morning:) I'll keep this very brief ...

My web-spinning brother-in-law has deceitfully had my in-laws sign one of their property deeds, that was ultimately intended for my husband, over to himself - placed in his own name.

In addition, my brother-in-law has put stipulations on two other portions of property deeded to my husband that were not put on the inherited property deeded to him.

My in-laws are in their mid 70's and basically trusted their son, whom clearly had no one else's interest at heart but his own. They have freely stated that it was not their intent to have stipulations place on my husbands property, nor for my brother-in-law to hold the deed to the other piece of property that was originally intended for my husband. Though my in-laws have personally stated to him that this is NOT they way they intended the property to be deeded, he STILL refuses to change the deeds, at my in-laws request.

Since my brother-in-law is ADAMANTLY resistant to resolving this issue through family meetings, what recourse of action can be taken against him at this point?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Asked on 2/27/05, 10:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: Parents Deceived: Early Inheritance of Property - Deeds Not Written As Speci

Several options are available and these vary depending on how the deed was written and evidence of the misrepresentation. Other evidence may come into play. Unfortunate as it may seem, the elderly persons may need to bring suit to resolve the matter. Obviously delay is not appropriate due to advanced agedness of the alleged grantors.

Other alternatives may provide some relief such as the preparation of a last will and testament for the elderly individuals.

Contact an attorney for legal assistance.

Joe Holthaus (410) 750-2567

Read more
Answered on 2/28/05, 5:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland