Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Maryland

My sister passed on two years ago. She wrote a will but we do not know were to find it. We have no communication with her husband. I have an e-mail from him stating that there is a will but he has not honored my sisters will. He lives in West Virginia and we live in Maryland. what can I do.

Asked on 9/08/10, 5:22 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip M. Cook Cook Legal Services, LLC

If your sister passed in West Virginia, you should hire a West Virginia estates and trusts litigator to file suit on your behalf against the husband. The Court will require him to produce the will and the Court can then appoint an administrator to administer the contents of the will as your sister intended. If you do not know a West Virginia lawyer, I strongly recommend calling the West Virginia Bar and request a referral.

Best of luck.******The above is for informational purposes and does not create an attorney-client privilege.*******

Read more
Answered on 9/13/10, 7:38 pm
G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Where your sister lived when she died has nothing to do with your inquiry as stated by another attorney answering your question. What is the estate of your sister? Is there real property that she owned in Maryland? Contact me to discuss whether you have an interest in her estate.

Read more
Answered on 9/14/10, 8:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Maryland