Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Massachusetts

In 2011, I gave a lawyer $1500 as a down payment for bankruptcy representation. We had two meetings. The first was a free consultation to initiate the proceedings. During this meeting he asked me to gather my needed information. The second meeting was to give him this information. Because I could not afford the rest of the $2500 fee to file for bankruptcy, I decided not to proceed. When I called the lawyer, he said he would not refund the down payment and I could use it for future legal needs. He never sent me a receipt and is now saying he never agreed to represent me for future needs. Is there any way of proving that he kept my money and did not provide any services?

Asked on 3/20/13, 6:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dmitry Lev The Lev Law Firm

Write a letter to the lawyer asking for an itemized invoice for services provided, and a refund of any unearned fees. If that does not work, the Mass Bar Association has a fee mediation program, and if nothing works, the attorney licensing agency (the Board of Bar Overseers) will be happy to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 3/21/13, 6:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Massachusetts