Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

hi, i was a passenger in my friends vehicle and we were hit head on by another car. the accident has been ruled the other vehicles fault. Would it be a conflict of interest, or a bad idea for both myself and the driver of the vehicle i was in to use the same attorney? so basically he would be representing us both for the same accident but different cases. or is it best to keep things seperate? also want to note that this attorney is a friend of the person driving the car i was in. thabks so much!

Asked on 7/26/10, 9:07 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph Lamy Law Office of Joseph Lamy

If the other driver is 100% at fault, then it is probably OK to have the same attorney. You should, however, always hire the attorney who you think will do the best job for you personally and not accept representation because the attorney is a friend of a friend. Be sure that he is a personal injury attorney and has a lot of experience with car accidents. If that is his area of practice, he should be able to represent you well.

Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/10, 12:14 pm
Stephen Fine Law Offices of Stephen R. Fine

If the other driver is completely at fault AND there is more than ample insurance coverage to go around, then OK.

Please feel free to call if you have any other questions.

Stephen R. Fine


Read more
Answered on 7/26/10, 12:45 pm
Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

I respectfully disagree with my colleagues. Your statement that the accident has been 'ruled' the other driver's fault is tempting, but don't forget that a judge or jury could disagree. I am almost certain that the attorney will be charging each of you a fee out of whatever amount is collected for you, and that there would be no additional cost to you if you were to hire your own attorney. Your comment that the attorney is the driver's friend really bothers me. My advice would be to retain your own attorney!

Read more
Answered on 7/26/10, 12:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts