Legal Question in Disability Law in Massachusetts

I am the caregiver to two men, Joh, and David from Massachusetts. Their Dad passed on Sept. 23, 2011. The father treated them very well while he was still with us...I was told that he was a very wealthy man.

He had a significant other that, it seems, he left everything he had to her, leaving both of his special needs sons with nothing. I can't imagine this could be true. Is there any way we can gain access to viewing of the will?? thanks so much

Asked on 12/26/11, 4:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Denise Leydon Harvey Harvey Law Offices

You can ask the significant other for a copy of the will, if there is one. The sons are entitled to see it. If a will was filed and she doesn't want to provide a copy, you can view it at the probate court in the county in which the dad lived at the time of his death. If a will was filed with the probate court, the sons should have received notice of that.

It is possible that all of dad's assets were owned jointly with the significant other. If that is the case, all assets would pass to her automatically upon his death, with no need to probate a will.

Read more
Answered on 12/27/11, 8:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in Massachusetts