Legal Question in Technology Law in Massachusetts

Civil case - what money can they get?

If I am currently in a civil case (in deposition stage) and it goes to trial and the judge finds for the complaintant, what monies could be gotten (since my complaintant has already been given injunctionary relief) if I have nothing? I have no property and am working temporarily. Can I be sued for, let's say, 50k and have to pay it over a number of years? Can someone be made to pay a sum of money that they just don't have over a period of years in civil court? I am a young female who doesn't have much! If this doesn't make sense, please ask me questions and I will clarify. I appreciate your help very much!

Asked on 3/07/08, 9:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: Civil case - what money can they get?

A judgment is good for 10 years. Interest and costs will be assessed. They company will be able to garnish your wages etc.

If you are being sued for breach of a non-compete agreement, then the only reason to continue this litigation is to punish you if you have not done anything substantial to hurt your former employer. If you do not have legal counsel you should get one. If you are concerned about garnishment etc, you might contact a bankruptcy attorney and see if the lawsuit is dischargeable by bankruptcy. If it is, this may be your cheapest and best way to put an end to this matter. I am not a bankruptcy attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/08, 2:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in Massachusetts