Legal Question in Consumer Law in Massachusetts

Last November I was looking to purchase a jeep from a used car dealership in Plaistow N.H. The salesperson guaranteed the jeep was in excellent running condition and would pass Mass state inspection, he even went as far as to tell me I could take the jeep to my mechanic for him check it out. I wrote a check and took the vehicle to my mechanic for him to go through. He told me the vehicle was no good, that I should not buy the jeep. I brought the jeep back to the dealer and asked for a refund. The dealer asked for a chance to make the vehicle right, assuring me his mechanics would go through the vehicle thoroughly. After waiting a week for the dealer to get back, I called and got no answer, nor did I receive a return call in response to the messages I left. I then drove to the dealership, removed my plates from the jeep and left a letter to the salesperson explaining that I took my plates and I expect a refund check in the mail.

Two months has passed in which time I have called the dealership several times in an effort to get my money back. I have several messages on my phone from the salesperson saying they would refund my money, yet they still have not done so.

They have the title, the jeep and my money. I have a bill of sale and a copy of the cashed check. As of late I have noticed they have the jeep up for sale on Craigslist they apparently are trying to sell it again.

I guess my question would be… Is there anything I can do about this? If I have to take legal action, can I sue for the attorney fees as well?



Asked on 1/13/10, 5:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonas Jacobson Law Offices of Jonas Jacobson


I believe that you can, in fact, sue, possibly for even more than you paid plus for attorney fees. There are a few prerequisites, however. I would be more than happy to talk to you. Your case sounds great, based on what you said above: 617-230-2779. Please feel free to call me at your leisure. Alternatively, email me at: [email protected]

Best of luck,


Read more
Answered on 1/18/10, 6:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Massachusetts