Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

on 2//01/13 a judgement was determined against me in housing court over an eviction/failure to pay rent and I did not show to court. I was the person who signed the lease but the apt management also included my family member on the complaint (they were listed as occupant only, the lease did not include them as the "responsible party or include their signature. Forward to today the family member is attempting to rent an apartment and this case is coming up in their background search, NOT on their credit report. I looked up the case and the status says "Disposed for Statistical Purposes" in the summary. Nothing in the docket information indicates a warrant of any kind. The debt is not paid. 2 questions: 1) can their still be a warrant for my (or their) arrest based on lack of payment and 2) how do I get their name cleared in this ?

Asked on 10/14/19, 12:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

You probably need an attorney to review the papers. If your family member's name is listed on a money judgment and execution, they are subject to collection efforts for years to come, including civil arrest, etc.

Read more
Answered on 11/04/19, 3:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts