Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

someone attempted at serve me papers at my moms house. i dont live in that state anymore. what do i do who do i contact the only contact on the letter is the man trying to serve me.

Asked on 4/30/13, 6:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC.

You have two options:

1. Do nothing. You will be served, and whoever is suing you will obtain a default judgment against you when you fail to defend. Their judgment will likely be voidable, but you will then have to do the work of having the judgment vacated. Judgments are good for 20 years, earn 12% interest, and can be domesticated in the state where you currently reside.

2. Reach out to the people attempting to sue you and notify them that you do not reside at the address where they attempted service, and that you do not reside in the state where they are attempting to sue you.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/13, 6:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts