Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Massachusetts

Hello, I was convicted of bank fraud in federal court in June of 2003. I was sentenced to 1yr incarcerated 3yrs probation & ordered to pay back restitution of $74,000 which was joint & several with a co-defendant. While on probation I paid back $37,000 exactly 1/2 of the restitution unknowingly assuming this was my portion of the debt. I was then made aware that both me & my co-defendant were both responsible for 100% of the debt till it was paid. Out of frustration from paying back 1/2 & the other party not paying a single dime I stopped making payments myself only giving up $1000-$2000 a yr from what ever federal tax refunds I should have received that were confiscated due to the federal lien. At this time, almost 10yrs from my conviction, 9yrs from my release from prison and 6 yrs from completion of my probation, the debt is still $29,000 and I am the only one who has paid anything towards it. My life is a lot different now, I've grown up & matured. I am looking to get married soon & also purchase a house. My question is there anyway I can get out of the responsibility towards what's left of this debt? And also how much time can the Feds keep this Lien, will I just owe this $ forever or is there any kind of time limit they have to collect it? Thank you in advance for your time

Asked on 4/10/13, 6:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Raymond Weicker Qua, Hall, Harvey & Walsh

Court ordered restitution is part of the sentence for the criminal offense.

You could seek to and appear for a hearing on modifying or settin aside. Portion of the sentence but you should seek counsel.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Massachusetts