Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Abandonment Law in Massachusetts

Is there an abandonment law in Massachusetts? My husband and I were married in August of 2006 after living together for 3 years. In July of this year we had a huge argument and he left and has been in New Zealand since (the country where we were married). I wrote before that he put money into renovating the house ($120-150K from his savings), but for the 3yrs we lived together before we married and since we've been married, he hasn't paid for any of the day-to-day living expenses (mortage, electrical, food, etc.) as he wasn't working. I live in Mass and the house is in my name didn't know if he would be entitled to anything seeing he's the one that left and we were married for 11 months (he actually was in New Zealand from March-May of 2007 for a wedding and July-present went back to NZ). I feel he has abandoned me but not sure what laws are out there. We are both older (He is 51 and I am 47) and there are no children involved.

He's doesn't appear to be making any effort and trying to help fix the marriage, ie counseling so I think his actions indicate he's giving up. Everyone I've talked to indicate he shouldn't get all that he put in and the fact that he left.

Thanks for anyone's input.

Asked on 8/27/07, 3:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Re: Abandonment Law in Massachusetts

I would suggest you file for divorce in MA as this is where you were married and lived as husband and wife. How much he gets from the home is a separate issue.

Please feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/07, 3:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts