Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

I am looking for an attorney, but need to immediately file a motion for contempt of court as I just found proof that my spouse is disposing of marital assets months after the divorce started. I live in Massachusetts. Is it necessary to send my affadavit in support of the contempt finding along with the motion to my spouses attorney, or can I simply send the motion ten days in advance?

Asked on 7/17/12, 1:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joshua Robbins Carter Clunan & Robbins LLC

I am sorry you are going through this. So that you are aware, there is no such Motion for Contempt. If you believe that your spouse is in violation of the Automatic Restraining Order (Rule 411) you would have to file a Complaint for Contempt and have him / her served. I suggest that you speak with a local attorney who can explain Rule 411 and help you with your divorce.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/12, 1:55 pm
Erin Pennock Black, Vitelli & Pennock, LLC

I agree with Attorney Robbins above. It is also possible to request a speedy hearing on the Complaint for Contempt in order to avoid any further loss of marital assets. I strongly suggest you seek counsel in order to assist you with moving forward on this and in order to preserve your rights.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/12, 4:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts