Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

child custody

I am wondering if I am able to move out of state after my divorce is final and is my ex-husband able to fight me on this issue?We have two daughters 12 and 5. He was fighting for custody but does not want to follow through after we have seen a GAL and now we are court ordered to see a mediator. He tells me he does not want to he just wants to get a divorce.My boyfriend are planning on buying a house out of state again am I going to run into trouble with this decision in the future?

Asked on 8/16/01, 6:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: child custody

You can't remove a minor child from Massachusetts after a divorce is filed without permission of the court or of the other

parent. The court is not likely to approve a removal to live with a boyfriend. However, if the removal is to a nearby state, the

distance may not be a problem and the court may approve. The court will balance your reasons for removal against the

damage to the relationship with the other parent. Of course, you can always transfer custody to the father and move without

the children.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/01, 10:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts