Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

My cousin is going through a bitter divorce. Her soon-to-be-ex is requesting a Vaughan Affidavit of her parents, even though her family made no regular monetary contributions to benefit the marriage. Basically, her parents are financially secure but not obscenely rich by any means. He seem to think that this money is hers, even though her parents aren't even retired, let alone dead yet (ie she will not see any sort of inheritance for another 20-30 years). Is it possible to refuse the affidavit on grounds that it is completely baseless?

Asked on 12/19/11, 8:08 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

It sounds like you very much want to help your cousin. The best thing for her is to retain an attorney to assist her in the divorce. A request for a Vaughan Affidavit does not mean that her parents' income or assets are at risk, but it may simply be taken into consideration by the court in making an equitable division of property. Your cousin should hire an attorney, and she should feel free to contact our Jessica Walsh at 617-357-4898. Best of luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/20/11, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts