Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Emancipation - 17 yr old living in own apartment


This situation is rather unfortunate, I would appreciate any guidance one could offer.

My husband and I have lived in the same town as his daughter (her mother is/was primary custodial parent). We had visitation, and a very nice relationship with his daughter - however the better the relationship, the less we saw of her. Unfortunately, 2 years ago was the last time she visited us.

My husband pays the full amount of child support to the ''custodial parent'' each week. We continue to send cards on birthdays - holidays - etc. However, just recently - we had to find out some troublesome news thru a friend:

The daughter now 17 - dropped out of the 11th grade the day after she turned 17. She has since moved out of her mother's home and into her own apartment.

Needless to say, her father and I were troubled to hear this news. She was an above average student who dropped out - out of the blue/with no warning and much surprise to the guideance counselor.

We love her very much, however, we do not agree with the decisions that the primary custodian allowed her to make. Do we suck it up, allow things to remain the same, or are there consequences to apply?

Is the daughter emancipated now?

Asked on 6/14/04, 9:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: Emancipation - 17 yr old living in own apartment

It sounds like your daughter is emancipated but it will take a judge to make that decision

Read more
Answered on 6/14/04, 8:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts