Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

My ex-wife is taking me back to court for more child support to pay for my sons college tuition. We both have joint physical custody and share the boys half the week. Initially when used mediation services and I think I was misinformed and because I have custody and they live with me half the time that I should not be paying child support. She is taking me back to court, I already pay her $180/wk and she want an additional $130/wk for my sons college. I want to ask for a reduction in support payments. Another thing is that my ex-wife has chosen to only work part time her whole life. Also, I have remarried so could they take her income into consideration.Is there any hope for me in my case?

Asked on 5/17/13, 10:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Erin Pennock Black, Vitelli & Pennock, LLC

Even where there is a 50/50 arrangement, child support is often paid when there is a difference in income between the parties. In terms of your Wife's request, I would need more clarification on whether she is seeking for your child support obligation to increase or if she is seeking contribution for college expenses. I am assuming it is the latter but the language of your separation agreement would also be important to review here.

I suggest you seek advice of counsel and provide them with the necessary documentation.

This is not legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You should speak to an attorney for further information. less

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts