Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Father doesn't have custody + makes unauthorized decisions

I never went to court re: custody of my 2yr old son but I wasnít married + Iím the only name on his birth certificate, so I assume I'm his legal guardian. He lived w me since birth + Iím the primary care giver. His father + I remained friends since the breakup, till his latest girlfriend said we can't talk. Now he's unwilling to talk + he's making major decisions without my consent. He took him to get his first haircut; never even told me till it was done. I should have been consulted; had I been, he would have realized that my sonís head is sensitive + the haircut ended up being very traumatic. Now he wants to enroll him in daycare against my wishes. Anytime I try to give feedback, he hangs up. He refuses to work with me on any decisions. He's immature + I fear heíll make decisions that will harm our son. He told me himself that he + his girlfriend have heated arguments in front of my child. Now I'm told by a mutual friend that the arguments have gotten physical, even to the point where she slapped him while he was holding my son. My question is; is it possible to have a court order that no major decisions can be made without my say so? + allow him unlimited visitation, just not in her presence?

Asked on 9/10/01, 12:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: Father doesn't have custody + makes unauthorized decisions

Unless you go to court you will continue to have the same problems. The only way you can control the situtation is to have a judge make orders. You should go to probate court and seek help.

Read more
Answered on 10/26/01, 9:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts