Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

I am a retired, disabled veteran. I receive my medical care at the VA Medical Center in Leeds, MASS. I am married and have a 19 yr old daughter living with her mother in South Carolina. I pay court ordered child support. I obtained CHAMPVA insurance for my wife and daughter, but my daughters insurance ended when she turned 18. I don't have a family insurance plan so I don't have a plan to add her to. I currently split medical Bill's with my daughters mother. Now she is asking about an insurance plan for my daughter until my daughter is 26. My daughter does not work or go to college. What are my options at this point. Am I required to provide full coverage health insurance in addition to child support. I have been researching plans online. But am having trouble because my daughter lives in another state. Can you offer any advice on where I can turn?

Asked on 4/02/20, 10:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

You have to do whatever the court judgment orders you to do. You don't have to do anything extra. Read your judgment to answer this question. Once your daughter is emancipated you have no obligation to provide health insurance. Emancipation must occur at age 23 but could occur earlier depending on the facts.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/20, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts