Legal Question in Immigration Law in Massachusetts

I am brazilian and just became an american citizen, but want to go to Europe and stay there for at least 2 years, studying and working (a friend invited me to live with her and I already have a job in sight). I wanted to stay there as I said for a couple of years then come back to the USA to move on with my life. Is it possible for me to stay away from the USA for so many years, will I lose my USA citizenship? Will I have any problems when i enter the USA customs? Or once i got my citizenship I will be able to live abroad for as many years as i want as any USA born american citizen would? I just dont want to do smt wrong and lose my USA citizenship. I know that when i had my green card I had to follow rules as to the length of time I was away, BUT I dont know anything about the rules regarding the USA citizenship. Please advise. thank you so much.

Asked on 3/16/12, 1:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Seeta Nangia Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Once you are a U.S. Citizen you can live and work abroad as long as you like. You will have to consult with the embassy of the country you wish to move to regarding their immigration rules about living and working there.

Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.

Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law

Phone: (415) 273-9123



Read more
Answered on 3/22/12, 10:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Massachusetts