Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

My aged mother (68 years old) with very limited income lives with me & my husband. The only income she has is SS (~$630/month). She has no assets, no real estate, no money in the bank, no stocks, bonds... NOTHING. Because she lives with us, she was unable to get SSI. I am newly married and this living arrangement will no longer work. I'd like to buy a small condo and rent to my mother. I can't afford to pay an entire mortgage though I can charge her significantly less than I would for an ordinary tenant. But she really will need SSI to survive. Is there any issue with an aged person with limited income applying and getting SSI if the person is renting from a family member?

Asked on 12/10/14, 10:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Your question is an SSI question not really a real estate question. I think you need to speak to an attorney who specializes in SSI issues.

Read more
Answered on 12/10/14, 6:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts