Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

Dear LawGuru,

I am a lupus patient who has a rental contract for an apartment in the state of ma. I was just recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia three days ago and because of how debilitating this illness is while resting upon the lupus, I feel I can no longer pay this kind of rent. I get a small ssi check that covers about half my rent, but since I have no means to cover the rest, I feel I should not try to occupy the apartment any more. I am sure that in most states, one simply must comply with the contract or be penalized, but I wonder if with my medical evidence and perhaps a two month notice I would be able to avoid having to pay for the entire year. I simply cannot, I am barely making a living

Asked on 5/26/11, 11:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonas Jacobson Law Offices of Jonas Jacobson

If you are disabled, or infirm, you have certain rights in an eviction action. Assuming you have somewhere to go, why not speak to your landlord and let him know that you need to move?

Read more
Answered on 6/01/11, 5:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts