Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

How do I get irresponsible, destructive tenants out of my house? I have never been a landlord until recently and do not know how to get rid of them. They refuse to follow some simple, reasonable house and yard rules, ignore me or swear at me and give me the finger. They also bought an enormous dog who has taken over my whole yard such that my two, little dogs cannot safely go in my own yard for fresh air, sun, exercise. Please can you advise?

Asked on 5/04/15, 7:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

Thanks for your question.

Every landlord should really have an attorney to assist him or her when issues arise. If you are looking to get your tenants out, you will need to evict them. The process can be complicated, but will need to start with a notice to quit terminating the tenancy followed by an eviction complaint. I don't recommend doing this without a lawyer because it is so easy to make a mistake.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/15, 9:16 am

You will need to start an eviction with a proper notice to quit and make a decision with respect to which court to proceed in. You should consult with an attorney as there are certain requirements that must be met in order to carry out the process.

Read more
Answered on 5/04/15, 9:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts