Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Massachusetts

I have a question pertaining to landlords. This is my first time renting in my life. I have always been a home owner that is why I am asking. This is a landlord company who buys multiple houses and apartments. Water was leaking in through the roof, ceiling and all over the floors for over a year. It was more like pouring in. Ceiling is collapsing and mold was growing. Finally after a year they fixed the roof but never the ceilings. They also have huge holes through out the back yard from when they had a large tree taken down and never filled in the holes to which I eventually fell in one of the holes and injured my back. The front step is heaving up at a huge incline to one side. There are no gutters so when you have freezing rain and snow the front step is a sheet of ice and you have to walk on it to get the mail or even to use the front door. Despite all the consistent emails asking them to fix it; in 3 years it has never been fixed. I also fell and slid under the bushes on that front step and landed on my back. Can they do this and ignore repairs? I am also physically disabled and they know it.

Asked on 9/22/15, 3:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Call the health dept to inspect and issue citations. send a certified letter with complaints to the kandlord. open a separate account and deposit your rent into it each month. inform the landlord you are withholding your rent until repairs are made. You can sue the Landlord for return of some rent.

I would contact a real estate attorney I. your area for assistance.

good luch

Read more
Answered on 9/22/15, 5:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Massachusetts