Legal Question in Personal Injury in Massachusetts

if someone hits my car from behind and my car hits the car in front of me - can the person I hit sue me for damages?

Asked on 8/03/10, 2:41 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Joseph Lamy Law Office of Joseph Lamy

If you can prove that you were at a complete stop behind the vehicle in front of you and only made contact after being struck from behind, then you are not responsible for any damages. The driver at the back of the chain reaction is responsible for all damages.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/10, 5:34 pm
Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

I agree with the previous attorney. The automobile in front of you will likely file suit against any potentially responsible parties, including you and the party behind you. You may want to speak with an attorney if you anticipate being sued.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/10, 5:39 am

Your question is CAN the person sue you. The answer is yes. I've been involved in many cases like this, everyone gets sued. You see, the other person's story might be different from yours. What if someone says the started all this by rear-ending the guy in front. A jury could believe you or could believe the other person. If you receive suit papers you probably want to consider bringing them to your insurance agent, which most likely will cause your insurer to appoint (and pay for) an attorney to represent you. Another option is not to report it to the insurer and to hire a lawyer yourself and to pay any damages assessed against you out of your own pocket. Good luck. Regards, JBS.

Read more
Answered on 8/09/10, 6:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Massachusetts