Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Massachusetts

A tenant friend brought a case against the landlord regarding construction being done in the apartment which is affecting the children medically. The landlord resides in another country - Pakistan, I think. The landlord had a non-attorney friend representing her at mediation. The non-attorney friend has no authority to arrange alternative accommodation but did have a document authorizing her to speak for the landlord is not a PoA. The case has not yet gone before the Judge. The case is being continued. Are there any laws that pertain to non-resident landlords? I remember a similar case where the landlord lived in Texas and the Judge insisted that she return and appear before him.

Asked on 4/03/19, 6:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

The landlord must hire an attorney to represent him or her in court or appear him or herself. I would force the landlord to appear.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/19, 11:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Massachusetts