Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts

my dad passed in oct 08, i took care of him in home until his passing, he was a very succesful business man. my convicted felon brother says i have been disinherited. my father would have never done this. i contacted my dad's atty. whom hung up on me. there is a private trust that i am named in. how do i find out what the trust states, and if my dad left me anything?

Asked on 8/25/09, 2:08 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

I suggest you contact an attorney immediately. You have only a very short period of time to challenge his Will and the Trust. You can check the Probate Court for the County in which your father lived prior to his death. That is where his estate should be probated.

However, you need to challenge the Will and the Trust on some basis otherwise you will not have a chance to find out anything. Alternative is to file a claim against the estate for services rendered to your father prior to his death.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/09, 2:13 pm
Christopher Vaughn-Martel Charles River Law Partners, LLC

I am sorry to hear about your Father's passing, and about the way your family is treating you.

You should go to the Probate Court in the county where your father resided when he passed and view the probate file. You should request a copy of the will from your Father's attorney or from the executor of your Father's will (your brother?). You should demand to know whether you are a beneficiary of any trust that your Father may have left.

You may or may not have much luck, and you may find that you need to hire a lawyer to assist you in obtaining more information.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/09, 2:15 pm
Joseph Murray Joseph M. Murray, Esq.

I am sorry for your loss.

You should check the records of the Probate Court for the County in which your dad resided for a Will or probate of his estate.

Then demand a copy of any Will and to know if you were a named beneficiary of any trust from his attorney.

If you have no success retain an attorney to assist you. Good Luck!

Read more
Answered on 8/30/09, 11:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Massachusetts