Legal Question in Family Law in Michigan

I have a 12 year old son who has been living with me full time since the age of 4. I have been the sole provider for him as his mother doesn't help me out what so ever to support our son. We have never been to court for custody/child support. I want to take her to court to get full custody of my son and child support also. I was wondering what my chances might be for me to win and what type of outcome can I expect. I live in the state of Michigan.


Asked on 12/13/09, 5:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Heather Bendure Bendure & King, PLLC

It's impossible to say what a judge would do in a custody case. A lot depends on what judge you get, what your son's mother would say, etc., etc. Typically, though, if one parent has been the sole provider for several years, that person will be awarded primary custody. The judge might give her parenting time (visitation) with your son, though. Given his age, your son might have a say so in it as well. Your son's mother would also be ordered to pay some child support, but the amount depends on her income and yours. You should probably file a custody action so that everything is laid out in an order. It can prevent a lot of potential problems in the futre. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/09, 8:12 pm
Thomas Loeb Law Offices of Thomas M. Loeb

The odds of being awarded primary custody and child support are very good. But I would need more information form you. Has there ever been a court proceeding regarding custody or parenting time? In what county does the mother live? Does the mother have a source of income to pay support?

Call if you would like.


Read more
Answered on 12/19/09, 10:48 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Michigan