Legal Question in Workers Comp in Michigan

My husband got a job after 1 year of unemployment (so we couldn't be choosey) His back has been hurt twice at 2 previous jobs over the past 30 years.

He was working and getting stronger he felt things were under control. On his one day off the pain just seized upon him as he relaxed and rested to go back. (Many according to employees have walked off this job because it is too demanding) We called the shop before seeking medical help in case he was to see the shop Dr. HR said to just go get help. They asked if he had had this problem before and he said yes.

We don't qualify for short term dis because he was only there 2 months. We are scared to sign the paperwork that says it is not comp. which is along with the insurance paperwork we would pay for ourselves. What do we do?

Desperate in unemployed Michigan.

Asked on 3/16/10, 4:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mark Bello Lawsuit Financial Corporation

In Michigan, an aggravation of a pre-existing condition on the job is just as compensable as one that originally happened on the job. That his back "seized" at home following a hard day's work does not mean that the condition was not caused by or aggravated by his job; a doctor is the only person that can make that determination. Further, the injury might be compensable under his previous employer's workers comp coverage (again, this is a call for a doctor). Sign nothing and contact a workers comp lawyer right away. I don't know where in Michigan you are, but if you need a referral to an attorney, call me, toll free, at 1-877-377-7848. I know comp lawyers all over the state. Good luck. Regards, Mark

Read more
Answered on 3/22/10, 12:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Michigan